Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

Prospective seller of boat claims to not be able to find title

Prospective seller of boat claims to not be able to find title because of recent move, but does have registration. How can we proceed with this purchase?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

The seller can replace the title by filing the affidavit from the following link:

Once the title is replaced, the sale can proceed.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This means I'll have to wait for the bureaucracy to process the paperwork. Is there anyway I can proceed with some other documentation, ie: a promissory note on my part?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me.

Your seller can get the title immediately at a Quick Title Office:

My only warning is that you do not pay for the boat without getting a title. We see questions all the time by people who take possession of a vehicle with a lost title on the promise that the seller will send them a replacement title. They never receive the title and then they can not find the seller.

So, have the seller get the replacement title at a Quick Title Office before paying.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Richard, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.  
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do have one further question: I suspect this boat might have a co-owner. If the title is found, and we pay full price by check, would there be complications on getting the co-owner's signature?
You will need both owners' signatures. I do not know if that is going to be difficult or not, but you ill need a signature from everyone in title. That would be true even if the title were not lost.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm thinking the ownership might be in contest, i.e. a divorce. In this case, should I just back away from this purchase?

Correct. If you do not get clear title then you are just buying a major headache; If not now, then down the road when you try to sell it.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Loren. There's other boats with less complications. I'll go there.

That may be best.

Good luck.

Do let me know if I can be of further assistance.