Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

i had my new home built this year;im disabled so ive got a

i had my new home built this year;im disabled so ive got a strict budget.ive signed no contract and ive seen no receipts intil the very end.the contractor told me hes a bad bookkeeper so im 100000.00 over budjet even though ni ask weekly the whole project what can i legall do to him i lve in iowa
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind,

1. If you did not sign any contract, how did you know what the house would cost ?

2. How much did the builder say that the house would cost ?

3. With the $30,000 that you just paid him, how much did you pay in total so far ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

00e showed me a bid sheet for about three hundred thousand dollars that's where we needed to be but then he took the sheet back. the dirt work and the kitchen were about 30000.00 over the bid so i paid for the complete kitchen and carpet right away which came to about 30000.00
so that would be paid right away instead of due at the end so we would be back where we started.he told me all summer long some of the subs bids where cheaper than expected so we where on budjet

Thank you for your reply, Marlon, but you did not say how much you have paid the builder to date (counting the $30,000 that you paid up front) ?

Have you paid him $300,000 ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

360000.00 he gave me a new contract for 400000.00 signed and dated by him.he admitted to me he got carried away with my money and that some subs charged way to much.he never showed me one sub bid so i could agree or disagree

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ive paid him 360000.00 and 30000.00 for the dirt work and nicer kitchen cabinets . he laughed and told me it is what it is so pay it

Thank you for your reply, Marlon,

If the builder gave you an estimate of $300,000 and you paid him $360,000 already I do not believe that you should have to pay him any more money for the following reasons,

1. You told the builder what amount you had in your budget for building the house

2. He gave you an estimate of $300,000

3. He was initially telling you that his subcontractors were coming in with bids lower than he expected; this should have brought the cost of the house to less than $300,000

4. You have already paid him $360,000 which is 20% more than his estimate of $300,000

5. He admitted that he "got carried away" with your money. A builder's job is to stay with the owner's budget, not to get carried away, especially with someone else's money and then expect them to pay him because he chose to get "carried away"

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

Number 4, above should be the following,

4. You have already paid him $390,000 which is 30% more than his estimate of $300,000

He cannot tell you, "It is what it is, so pay". You should tell him to go pound sand and go get carried away with his own money, not somebody else's who has already told him what their budget is and who has already paid $90,000 over his estimate and where the final cost, by the way should have come in lower than $300,000 since his subcontractors were coming in with bids of less than he expected and less than what he used to come up with an estimate of $300,000,

ANDREA