Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I met a person who has interesting business plan to which I

I met a person who has interesting business plan to which I was planning to invest $15,000 in a LLC. But after doing some background check I found some old court records. Most were related to domestic violence. But there is still an open warrant in his name. I want to know how serious the crime is and should I enter into an LLC with him given his open warrant situation.

I am planning to be a passive investor in this business which he will manage under LLC. If he does something wrong in business, am I liable for it ?

Following are the charges and events

Charges : Driving Under Restraint
Charges : Failure To Dis play Proof Of Insurance
Charges : Registration-fictitious Plate
Charges : Obstructed View - Winds hield
Charges : Unregistered Vehicle

Events details

07/24/2009 800 AM Arraignment
Status Party Failed to Appear
09/28/2009 230 PM Pre-Trial Conference
Status Hearing Held
10/19/2009 800 AM Appearance on
Arrest Warrant
Status Party Failed to Appear
12/07/2009 230 PM Pre-Trial Conference
Status Vacated
09/29/2014 430 PM Review
Status
12/08/2014 430 PM Review
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

You are very wise to have done a background check on this individual. There is a warrant out for his arrest for his failure to appear in Court on several different hearing dates. The entry listed as "Preliminary hearing" tells me that this has become a criminal case because only criminal cases have "Preliminary hearings".

What is even more important is the fact that his dishonesty is revealed by the first group of entries. They indicate that he never registered the vehicle he was driving and the plates he had on his vehicle were fictitious, in other words that were not genuine plates issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you invested in an LLC, you would not be liable for any liabilities or debts of the LLC, but I doubt that he would form an LLC. Even if he did form an LLC, you would have no control of the business, nor would he show you the real books of the business. So, you really would not know what he is doing with the business. Moreover, when the police pick him up on the Arrest Warrant, he will wind up in jail and more than likely use your $15,000 as bail money and to retain a criminal defense Attorney.

If I were in your position, I would not trust this individual with any amount of my hard earned money, let alone $15,000.

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.