Roger, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

What is the difference between "failure to yield left turn"

What is the difference between "failure to yield left turn" and "failure to pay full time and attention"?
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Failure to yield at a left turn is a specific offense for a specific act, while the failure to pay full time and attention is a general offense that could apply to any activity while behind the wheel.
Customer:

Hi

Roger : Thus, this could be an offense committed while performing any driving function.
Customer:

So if the court had changed Failure to yield at a left turn to failure to pay full time and attention in traffic court, it will be better?

Roger : Probably because the failure to yield is a moving violation, and the other isn't necessarily.
Customer:

And what is influence on my driving record?

Customer:

The difference for those two

Roger : Let me look it up....
Customer:

Are you there?

Roger : I am.
Customer:

Great!

Roger : The cost of the ticket is determined by the jurisdiction, and they're not all online. For instance, the penalties for Fairfax County are here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/gendist/gdc-paylist.htm
Customer:

And what will be the different influence in civil case after traffic court ?

Roger : Also, this offense doesn't appear to carry any points...
Roger : If a no contest plea is entered, none.
Customer:

you mean both or?

Roger : If a person pleads no contest to either, it would have no affect in a civil case because there's no admission of guilt.
Customer:

the former or the latter.

Roger : Also, a failure to yield right of way caries a 4 point deduction: http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/point-system.php
Customer:

no point deduction for ”pay full time and attention“,is that true?

Roger : That's what I've seen in my online search, but I don't see anything "official" about that.
Roger : I'm looking.....
Customer:

OK.

Roger : It appears that this offense is set by county codes, and not state law, so that's why it's a little difficult to find anything definite.
Customer:

So if the court said it won't be sent to DMV, what does it mean?

Roger : That means you shouldn't receive a point deduction.
Customer:

OK.

Customer:

So it is a good news.

Roger : Yes, anytime something goes unreported, that's a good thing.
Customer:

since still plead no guilty , even the court sentence you guilty ,no influence on civil case?

Roger : If you're found guilty, then it could be used against the person in a civil case.
Customer:

what do you mean by found?

Roger : If you plead no contest, it would be no effect.
Customer:

no contest

Roger : If you have a trial and the judge determines that you're guilty, then you would be found guilty.
Customer:

did not say anything in court

Roger : If you enter a plea, then there's no trial.
Customer:

just pay the fine for failure to pay full time and attention

Roger : If the fine was just paid without a trial or a decision of guilt or innocence, then it shouldn't affect you either.
Customer:

there is another part show up , both lawyers achieved the agreement to change the charge and did not say anything in court. Also the paper I still plead no guilty.

Roger : I'm a little handicapped since I can't review the papers, but if your attorney reached a deal to reduce it to the failure to pay time and attention, and you paid a fine, then it's likely that you pled no contest to the lesser offense.
Roger : But, I can't say for sure since I can't review the documents. The simplest thing would be to call your lawyer or the court clerk and find out what the final disposition was.
Customer:

The lawyer told me i still plead no guilty and get the charge changed. It is very good. Since it won't have influence on civil case. They cannot use the traffic court result to against me.

Customer:

As the other part had bad traffic record,

Customer:

Are you here?

Roger : Yes....
Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

So what is your opinion for the whole thing?

Customer:

That is the last question.

Customer:

Are you there?

Roger : Sorry - I had a phone call.
Customer:

That is fine.

Roger : It sounds like you got the best deal given the situation in regard to resolving the citation.
Roger : Also, if your attorney told you that you could plead not guilty and reduce the charge, then that's a good deal and sounds like a no-contest plea.
Customer:

OK.Thank you.

Roger : Sure.
Customer:

Great Thanks for your help.

Customer:

See you!

Roger, Attorney
Experience: Litigation Attorney