TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

What if other professionals, where you work, are making public

What if other professionals, where you work, are making public slanderous comments regarding your teachers in front of other professionals as well as in front of student's parents?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

If the slanderous or libelous comments are aimed at you personally, then you may sue the person directly. It is unlikely that you could also sue the school, as these comments would probably fall outside of the scope of employment and the school has limited sovereign immunity under state law. Nevertheless, you must also remember that slander and libel must be more than the mere expression of an opinion. It must be a clear false statement of fact which hurts your reputation. For example, if someone said about you that "teacher X lied about her qualifications, she really does not have a degree" or something similar, this would be clear slander. The statement you have quoted above falls in a grey area.

Generally, the courts have held that the law does not require an employer to make the workplace a pleasant and non-judgmental place, nor is the employer required to make the employees treat each other nicely. The law allows the employers to make up their own minds on many issues like this.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, of course, there are no laws against bullying, are there? Silly me.