TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am the President of a union representing about 1500 workers

I am the President of a union representing about 1500 workers in Cleveland, Ohio. I was falsely accused and charged with embezzlement and misappropriation of union funds. This allegation was made by another union officer who knew the charges were false when she filed them; however, she was angry with me for another decision I had made relevant to expelling a number of officers who violated our attendance policy. She filed these charges internally with our international office. I was found innocent or not guilty of these charges; however, during the interim she also told a number of other union members that I was a thief and she was going to prove it and filed additional charges against me. I filed a lawsuit against her for liable, slander, and defamation of character in Cleveland, Ohio Municipal Court. I filed these charges pro se and we have had several hearings. In out last hearing the judge asked that I cite some cases related to liable, slander and defamation of character in Ohio. Please note, I have already looked up the elements relevant to liable, slander, and defamation of character and my case meets those elements. Consequently, can you help me by citing some relevant cases with regard to liable and slander and damages. My actual damages are around $1000 due to the fact that I had to travel to Chicago to defend myself with regard to the charges and purchased transcripts of the original case since she appealed the original non guilty findings by our union. Thank you.

Louis D. Brown III
President AFSCME Local 100
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Here is a quote from Kanjuka v. Metrohealth Medical Center, 783 N.E.2d 920 (Ct. App.--8th District 2002):

"Damages for defamation, however, may include impairment of reputation, personal humiliation, shame, mental anguish and suffering. 17 [*195] In Lansdowne v. Beacon Journal Pub. Co., 18 the Ohio Supreme Court held that actual harm can result from injury to reputation and personal humiliation:

[**P31] "As a subsidiary issue, appellants contend that a heightened standard is required for proof of actual harm inflicted by defamatory falsehood. *** Suffice it to say that actual injury is not limited to out-of-pocket loss. Indeed, the more customary types of actual harm inflicted by defamatory falsehood include impairment of reputation and standing in the community, personal humiliation, and mental anguish and suffering. Of course, juries must be limited by appropriate instructions, [***930] and all awards must be supported by competent evidence concerning the injury, although there need be no evidence which assigns an actual dollar value to the injury."

In the above quoted paragraphs, the Court cites the following cases which are also helpful to you:

Rogers v. Buckel (1992), 83 Ohio App.3d 653, 659, 615 N.E.2d 669;

Thomas H. Maloney & Sons, Inc. v. E.W. Scripps Co. (1974), 43 Ohio App.2d 105, 110, 334 N.E.2d 494.

Lansdowne v. Beacon Journal Pub. Co., (1987),XXXXX3d 176, 512 N.E.2d 979.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Zachary