TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

We argued for dismissal of the motion by the other party. The

We argued for dismissal of the motion by the other party. The judge granted us the dismissal, but according to my lawyer the judge was going to takea couple of months to submit it inb writing. He called the judge twice, and told me that it was best now to wait and not annoy the judge. Later on, however, I was presented a bill where he charged me for a few phone calls to the judge, including a 50 min conversation! How plausable/legal is a 50 min private discussion with a judge? Thank you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

A 50 minute conversation with a judge is legal, although it may sometimes be objected to by your opponent as "ex parte" if the judge and the lawyer were discussing the case. There many different reasons that the judge and the lawyer may have been talking, and frankly if the judge is talking to your lawyer for 50 minutes, this is a good thing for you, not a bad thing. Further, the opposing counsel may have been on the line with the judge at the same time (do you know whether or not that is true?).

Nevertheless, you obviously feel that this bill is excessive. I would recommend contacting the attorney and telling him that you believe the 50 minute conversation was excessive, and that it indicates to you that he was talking to the judge about other issues than only your case and you should not be charged for that. If you approach it politely, many attorneys will agree to reduce the amount charged.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,