Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I parked in the Municpal parking lot in Farmingdale, NY at

I parked in the Municpal parking lot in Farmingdale, NY at 2 pm this afternoon. The lot was half empty and there were signs everywhere that said three hour parking. I came back one hour later to find a $25 ticket on my car, for Head in Parking. I had pulled into a space and done a "pull thru" to the opposite space so when I came out I could pull out face first. WHY would this be in violation of anything? I'm trying to understand if this is something in the state of NY as I just moved here from Massachusetts. I was stunned and need to understand what the law says because there was nothing posted about Head in Parking and I'm not really sure what that even means. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Thelawman2 :

Were the spaces directional? If so, then it would be illegal to pull through. When I say directional, I mean were they slanted such that a person coming from one direction would be able to get into them easily while a person coming from the opposite direction would have to cut their car more than 90 degrees.

Customer: My husband and I have never heard of this before. Could you please elaborate and tell me when and where it is illegal? Only in NY for example, only in municipal lots? I have been doing what I call " pull thrus" for years because I am short and with all the SUVs and trucks etc i often cannot see to back out of a space so it is much safer to pull out. I was never ticketed in Massachusetts which is why I'm wondering if this is a NY law. Also, shouldn't it be posted somewhere that you can't pull thru?? To fully answer my question I need to understand when and where this applies. Thank you.
Thelawman2 :

The pull-thru is only illegal when the parking spaces are angled. This is a law in New York generally.

Customer: OK, Is it everywhere in NY or only in Municipal lots. what about shopping malls and hospitals that are private? IT is a crazy law, it is actually unsafe for me NOT to pull through.
Thelawman2 :

It would be in all parking lots, even if they are private. I've actually gotten the same ticket, so I feel for you. Unfortunately, there is not much to do about it except maybe challenge the ticket by saying that it is a medical necessity.

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this info.
Thelawman2 :

You are welcome, please remember to provide positive feedback.

Customer: I did reply excellent, it shows pending on my credit card but stayed hanging on my computer for over an hour. I've tried 3 times. I'll wait to see if it goes thru and try later if not. thank you again.
Thelawman2 :

Are you able to provide a rating?

Customer: Yes, I rated you excellent and the charge has appeared on my credit card statement. Thanks.
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience: Attorney-at-Law