Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My husband just signed a deal for 48 months downward departure

Customer Question

My husband just signed a deal for 48 months downward departure for two multnomah county drug cases and got screwed by his attorney because there is still a county hold in different county that was supposed to be taken care of at the same time to try and get one sentence. Since papers have been signed they shipped him off to coffee creek. How long does other county have to bring up charges, and if theres a 240000 dollar bail where are the charges and why is no one giving me any information. what to do???please help
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Jenni, My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you in any way that I can,

I am sorry that you are being "stonewalled" and not getting any information on your husband, I know the frustration you are feeling, not knowing what will happen next,

You asked,

"How long does other county have to bring up charges, and if theres a 240000 dollar bail where are the charges and why is no one giving me any information."

Answer

Bail is set in order to secure a Defendant's appearance in Court. But, since your husband has already started serving his sentence on the charges in the first county, then the State is holding him and there is no need for any bail for the charges in the second county. If your husband had not yet been convicted in the first county and the second county set bail at a certain amount, that would mean that charges have, in fact, been filed because bail is only set in those situations where charges have been filed against a Defendant. So, the fact that bail has been set (Even though unnecessary), means that charges have been filed against your husband, otherwise, there would be no bail amount set. Now, as to why they are giving you the "runaround", I cannot say and the only time I see this is when I am dealing with people who do not know what they are doing and do not know where to look for the information.

States Court are putting all their case information on the internet so that people can check the status of their cases and the criminal cases are being worked on first before the civil cases. You can try looking up your husband's name in the second county by typing the following on the address line,

"Unified Judicial System (Name of County) Oregon, criminal" or "criminal docket"and that should bring you to a page or at least, direct you to a page where the instructions will tell you to type the Defendant's name, birth date, etc. That will give you all the information you have been asking for - the charges, date set for preliminary hearing, Court room Number, time of hearing, etc. And, this will give you all the information you have been asking for,

I wish you and your husband the best,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA