Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

As a consumer of Abercrombie and Fitch I have contributed thousands

Customer Question

As a consumer of Abercrombie and Fitch I have contributed thousands of dollars supporting their clothing line. Recently I have ran into this situation:

"This order was canceled and we cannot accept future orders from you. Abercrombie & Fitch is a private label brand and to protect our intellectual property rights, suspected resale of our merchandise for personal or business profit is strictly prohibited. For additional information regarding our Resale Policy, you can check out our website.
"
I only uses what I buys for myself and my daughter. To make the ridiculous assumption that I would even bother wasting my valuable time to try to re-sell your clothes borders on stupidity, and is rather insulting, not to mention wildly inaccurate.

As a longtime supporter I am in turn insulted and disgusted in their business performance, and sharing with you this experience in hopes to bring a bit of light to the truth behind the company. How the well is the company really doing if they go to these extents to “protect their intellectual property rights.” What criteria has to be met for an order to be cancelled, as it seems like the subtle beginnings to possible discrimination.

Yinan Sun XXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry about this unfortunate situation.

What is your specific legal question for me?

Do you have any clear evidence that this company is refusing to sell you their product due to some type of illegal discrimination?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yinan,This order was canceled and we cannot accept future orders from you. Hollister Co. is a private label brand and to protect our intellectual property rights, suspected resale of our merchandise for personal or business profit is strictly prohibited. For additional information regarding our Resale Policy, you can check out our website.
Hollister Co.Research and Resolution

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did u have my answer

Thank you for your follow up.

I completely understand how frustrated and upset you are, but private companies can refuse to sell their products to anyone and it is not illegal for them to do, unless the person who is being refused the sale of the product can prove by clear and convincing evidence that such refusal to sell the product is based on some type of illegal discrimination based on race, religion, national origin, etc...

Also keep in mind, that you can probably still buy this clothing in the retail stores, if you do choose to do so and it is not likely that you would be stopped, unless this letter also states that you are banned from their company stores.

I am sorry this has happened to you and you can appeal this decision to the corporate headquarters of the Hollister Co. and hopefully they will realize that their decision not to sell you more products might have been a simple error or misunderstanding.

Here is the contact information for the Hollister Co. corporate headquarters:

Hollister Corporate Office Headquarters HQ
Address
6301 Fitch Path
New Albany, OH 43054 USA
Corporate Phone Number: 1-614-283-6500
Fax Number: 1-614-577-6710
Customer Service Number: 1-866-426-1286

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I only bought about $2000 clothes this year.

I did not wrong. can they refuse to sale just based on un-grounded guessing.

The store is far away and I am online shopper. I do not have time to go to the store.

Thank you for your follow up.

Any private company can refuse to do business or sell to any consumer without any reason.

Unfortunately, each private company, such as this one, has its internal policy when it comes to the type of issue that you are dealing with and the best thing to do, would be for you to contact the corporate HQ directly and demand some type of explanation.

This could have been a simple error or an oversight on the part of this company and it is possible that once you reach out to this company the issue would be quickly resolved.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I called. the customer service said they do not know and they can not transfer the phone to their manager. They only thing I can do is wait the email. That is the email I got.

I came from China. And My friend got the same problem

Thank you for your follow up.

I would suggest that you send a written letter by certified mail with return receipt requested for your records to the corporate HQ and ask the company to provide you with an explanation as to why they are alleging that you are reselling their product.

I wish you the best of luck!
Do you have any related follow up questions?