CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My husband was released from a geriatric behavior hospital

My husband was released from a geriatric behavior hospital unit today and we requested copies of his records i.e. nursing notes, admission documents, physician orders/ notes, consults, progress notes, patient summaries. We do not want an "abstract of health information." In the same breath, we were told it would take 7-10 days for the abstract!

We were told it can be quite expensive but when we said that was not an issue, we were also told "Hippa would not allow us to have copies of patients files."

What is our legal standing and do we need to consult with our personal attorney?

We are trying to get healthcare continuity without being used as medical/drug experiments! Thank you for any suggestions/guidance. Diwee
Birmingham, Alabama

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

William B. Esq. :

Your husband does have a right to his medical records (under both federal and state laws).

William B. Esq. :

For a short summary of the laws as they apply in Alabama, and for legal authority in the event you do not receive these records, here is a good publication that you can use: http://www.hpi.georgetown.edu/privacy/stateguides/al/al.pdf