Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I live in Illinois. I had family leave for my mother who had

I live in Illinois. I had family leave for my mother who had cancer. When she died, I took Monday through Wednesday as funeral leave (the funeral was on Monday). I told them I wanted Thursday and Friday as family leave to finish taking care of her personal financial and other issues dealing with her death. Upon returning to work, I was told that I couldn't use family leave for someone that was dead and consequently given the days off as personal business with points toward attendance. I have no vacation days left because I had to use my vacation before family leave kicked in. I had no way to finalize things without the days off. My question is, Can they legally do this or are they trying to take advantage of me?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

First my condolences on the loss of your Mother.

Unfortunately, if have used your vacation days, any paid bereavement days then they are correct. Your FMLA cannot be used for occurrences of death. They are not taking advantage of you

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.