Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I co -sign on an apartment with my sister. I recently found

Customer Question

I co -sign on an apartment with my sister. I recently found out that since she broke the lease , shoe and I are being sued am I liable?

Robinson
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is Tina and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you know whether your sister has the ability to pay the damages the landlord is requesting?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think she can . I need to know am I responsible since I co-signed. And what is the next option under Florida law.
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Yes, as a co-signer you would typically be liable for the debt but could pursue payment from your sister if you must pay the landlord to avoid a judgment against you.

You could either seek indemnification from her in the existing suit by naming her as a cross-plaintiff, or you could try to settle the matter with the landlord to get this case dismissed, then sue her in small claims court if she does not pay you for the damages you pay on her behalf. Suing her is usually a better option if you can negotiate a settlement with the landlord since that would avoid a judgment from being entered against you.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!