Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

A US Citizen got arrested at London Heathrow Airport. Is In

A US Citizen got arrested at London Heathrow Airport.
Is In Prison. I got Phone call that England wants $ 4000. For release to the US
What is the Law?
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me:

1) Who is this person? How did you meet them? Online - on a romantic website?
2) What is their name?
3) Have you ever seen them in person?
4) What are they arrested for?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

He is a friend of mine. A US soldier. Was deployed to Iraq .He went back home over London England on a regular flight ( none military) and he was in possession of Diamonds not declared.

I receiver phone call from 3 rt party that he got arrested by Interpol in England.

And is in prison in London

England what I understand is asking $ 4000.- for his release.

I understand that he has a Lawyer representing him.

What is legal .Can a US Citizen Keeped in Prison in England.

Can someone pay a fee for his release?

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Friend,

Thank you. I need a little more clarification - please. This is very important.

1) How did you meet them? Online - on a romantic website?
2) Have you ever seen them in person? Or via a live video feed like Skype, for example?

Or, did you know them in person before they ever deployed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have meet him a long time ago on a romantic website. We skyped and we communicadetd over a year

We have been in contact a lot.

I did not see him before he deployed ,

I would like to know if England can keep him in prison.

What are the Laws Of a US citizen in prison In England.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, friend.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

You are being scammed. A very good, and a very deliberate scam - but a scam nonetheless.

This is a classic romance scam. The romance is normally established online. Normally the scam starts with trying to establish a romantic relationship. The scammer will often claim to have citizenship in US, UK, Germany, Australia, or elsewhere, so you do not suspect ulterior motive. They will often claim to be a U.S. Soldier (see here).

Now, after some time building romantic feeling, they will be ready to "come over" from wherever they are "deployed." They may also have gifts for you - cash, gold, bullion, diamond, etc.

That is when the scamming begins. First, they will need money for for the flight. Then perhaps some administrative fees. They may tell you that they have money, but it is tied up. Then, they will claim that they need exit tax, or bribe, or "insurance," or "proof of income," or something else... if they claim to be a US soldier, it can be "home tax" or whatever they come up with. There is no such thing. This is just another method to steal money from you. They would claim to be flying out.

Then they never arrive and a few days later, a "friend" or "relative" of the scammer contacts you to let you know that he has been detained/arrested by authorities and you need to pay more money. They will keep this going as long as they can... some have lost thousands.

The variation of the romance scam is very broad, and they can be so convincing... but this is a scam, and it is following the textbook model for a "US soldier deployed abroad."

Note:

1) No U.S. soldiers fly over UK to get back home from Iraq. Their flights take them over Kuwait. There is no layover in UK for these soldiers;

2) The reason why you never saw them on Skype is because you would immediately see that they are not American by their background and accent. So they claim that they cannot work their video due to "privacy" or "security" or "it not working" issues. That is false. The photos they have been sending you are FAKE. See here.

Now that I have said that, if you still want information about U.S. Citizens being held in the UK, I would be happy to provide it, although I would be amiss not to point out that this is likely a scam. If so, simply let me know via REPLY.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Now that I have said that, if you still want information about U.S. Citizens being held in the UK, I would be happy to provide it, although I would be amiss not to point out that this is likely a scam.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Okay. Apologies for the wait as I was typing this out.

Upon being arrested, a person in the UK being a US Citizen has no more/less rights than any other person in the UK. He has the right to:

-get free legal advice
-tell someone where he is
-have medical help if he is ill
-see the rules the police must follow (‘Codes of Practice’)
-see a written notice telling him about his rights.

He can be held for more than 24 hours without being charged with a crime. However, for more serious offences, a police superintendent can extend that period to 36 hours. A court can extend it to 96 hours.

Within normally 3/4 days of the arrest, he'd be brought before a court and a bond hearing held. Bond is granted unless he is a flight risk. A US Citizen would be. So such a low bond (or any at all) makes NO SENSE!

If he is a US Citizen/soldier and arrested at an airport, the US Embassy and the US military will be contacted and a representative from both normally stops by to confirm that he is not being mistreated.

You can contact the US Embassy in London to confirm whether or not he has been arrested - see here. They may be forthcoming with the information, or may not, but should be able to get SOME kind of information for you.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.