How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29556
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Paid 2000 cash to nj attorney Richard mic for palimony he ran

This answer was rated:

Paid 2000 cash to nj attorney Richard mic for palimony he ran off with money original paperwork never filed suit how can I salvage my palimony 2011 nj case now or complain will it matter or is it to late

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If you paid an attorney for work that was not performed, that is a breach of contract. You may be able to file suit against the attorney in Small Claims Court for a refund. One way to help avoid going to court is to try sending a demand letter, insisting that he either return your money or provide you with documentation showing what work was done on your case and the current status of the case.

In New Jersey, a person may only bring an action for palimony if it is in writing. The statute of limitations for breach of contract in New Jersey is six years. So you do still have time to seek palimony if your relationship ended in 2011 and you have a written agreement.That is a separate case than the one against your attorney for the fees you paid.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would you advise to help my palimony case should I report him how can I locate him do u think I can hire an attorney to go after my paperwork from him I only really have copies now.I don't want to give up I did 15 years in the relationship and she was a teacher .

If you have a written agreement where you ex agreed to support you if the relationship did not work out, then you have a strong case for palimony, and a local attorney might be able to help you. Without a written agreement, the law unfortunately does not allow support outside a marital relationship, so the whole case really turns on whether you can prove the agreement.

Even if you didn't have a strong case, your lawyer had an obligation not to take your money if he knew he wasn't going to help you and to keep you informed of what was happening. It's up to you to decide whether to report him - if he is willing to return your money, then that could affect your decision. He is obligated to return your file when documentation ends, so that might be something else to try to negotiate with him.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did have it in writing.I spoke to a better attorney first but couldn't pay the money he was asking for so Ihad been referred to attorney Richard mic unfortunately do to a emotional time of my life crash in ..getting put out my 15 year home playing housewife that attorney was deceitful and led me on up until he knew I was secured(relocated stuck broke) in Florida lying sayn he was doing things and now he has my life ...original documents! And now I can pay an attorney but have no original signed by us both in 2008 because we loved each other (even now)makes me cry but hey that's the breaks where's justice?what tondo?where to start .mics in hiding in nj

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are copies good and do you mean a Florida attorney where I reside?so I'm going to pull out some stuff to see if I can salvage really are getting me butterflies I feel like this is some real information wow I still have time ex girl got married while I still was in the house and then evicted me attorney sloppy mic did that case and screwed it up and that's the day I salvaged an agreement to leave then be evicted.that's the

Day i was emotional thats the day he basically stole my money and my originals(whole folder)i will never forget my life was over he asked me what did i want out of this and i said ive nothing after 15 years heres your last cash 300. He lied since that day up until the beginning of 2013

I'm sorry that things turned out the way they did. Copies are admissible in a lawsuit, just as originals would be.

You would unfortunately need a NJ attorney to practice law in New Jersey. If the two of you lived together in NJ, the Florida courts wouldn't have jurisdiction to sue your ex. A Florida attorney also wouldn't be able to sue the lawyer that you paid, but that suit can be brought in Small Claims Court.
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you