How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 32626
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have inherited my Mothers home and some money which is also

This answer was rated:

I have inherited my Mother's home and some money which is also part of a Homeowner's Association in Florida. I live in Long Island, NY. However there are 70, 000.00 country club membership dues that are mandatory and my lawyer has told me I have to pay those when billed. I do not have that money and if I pay them I will lose my inheritance. In addition when my Mom moved into the home she did not have the requirement that she had to pay country club membership dues. This requirement was created and made mandatory after she was already in her home under other conditions. She lived in a much higher tax bracket than I. I work in retail, unmarried and 64 and parttime. Is there some way to legally change the course of where this is going? I want my inheritance to pay my bills and do not want to have to pay her country club dues at all. Is there any recourse? I am an only adult child.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

My condolences for your loss. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

The assessment is lawful if it was enacted lawfully, in accordance with the bylaws.

Unfortunately, the practical thing may be to just sell the house, for which you should be entitled to a step up in basis, in order to preserve the rest of the inheritance.

You may also want to see when the assessment accrued to see if it may be something the estate should be paying.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"...when the assesment accrued". Can you please flesh this out?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me.

In other words, if it was something which should have been paid before your mother died or something which the estate should prorate with you (pay a portion), then you may want to look into making a claim or some sort of arrangement before the property is conveyed to you from the estate.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sadly I was part of a marital trust and so I am the estate as well as the inheritor. I don't understand all of this but am horrified and shocked since I live in a log cabin in the woods and work in retail. I cannot imagine how I will be able to manage this.

Then you may need to sell the property and just take the sale proceeds. That is not an uncommon situation that people face when inheriting a property they can not afford to maintain.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your very direct answer. I am on the right track then. It's on the market. I appreciate your help very much. Thanks.

You are very welcome Barbara. I am happy to have been of service to you and hope you found that service no less than excellent.

Thank you.


If you have not already do so, please remember to leave a favorable rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Loren and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Barbara, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.  
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do and thanks.
Much appreciated and you are welcome.