Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have inherited my Mothers home and some money which is also

Customer Question

I have inherited my Mother's home and some money which is also part of a Homeowner's Association in Florida. I live in Long Island, NY. However there are 70, 000.00 country club membership dues that are mandatory and my lawyer has told me I have to pay those when billed. I do not have that money and if I pay them I will lose my inheritance. In addition when my Mom moved into the home she did not have the requirement that she had to pay country club membership dues. This requirement was created and made mandatory after she was already in her home under other conditions. She lived in a much higher tax bracket than I. I work in retail, unmarried and 64 and parttime. Is there some way to legally change the course of where this is going? I want my inheritance to pay my bills and do not want to have to pay her country club dues at all. Is there any recourse? I am an only adult child.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

My condolences for your loss. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

The assessment is lawful if it was enacted lawfully, in accordance with the bylaws.

Unfortunately, the practical thing may be to just sell the house, for which you should be entitled to a step up in basis, in order to preserve the rest of the inheritance.

You may also want to see when the assessment accrued to see if it may be something the estate should be paying.

I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"...when the assesment accrued". Can you please flesh this out?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me.

In other words, if it was something which should have been paid before your mother died or something which the estate should prorate with you (pay a portion), then you may want to look into making a claim or some sort of arrangement before the property is conveyed to you from the estate.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sadly I was part of a marital trust and so I am the estate as well as the inheritor. I don't understand all of this but am horrified and shocked since I live in a log cabin in the woods and work in retail. I cannot imagine how I will be able to manage this.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Then you may need to sell the property and just take the sale proceeds. That is not an uncommon situation that people face when inheriting a property they can not afford to maintain.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your very direct answer. I am on the right track then. It's on the market. I appreciate your help very much. Thanks.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Barbara. I am happy to have been of service to you and hope you found that service no less than excellent.

Thank you.

If you have not already do so, please remember to leave a favorable rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Loren, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience representing clients.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-Loren/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Barbara, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.  
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do and thanks.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciated and you are welcome.