Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My 18 year old daughter was working at the Dollar General when

Customer Question

My 18 year old daughter was working at the Dollar General when she was accused of stealing a soda and was told that she was caught on camera she denied it said that he seen the bottle of soda that she supposedly sold and the receipt thrown in the trash but yet she left with one in her purse Later that afternoon The bottle and the receipt in which was stated was on camera to be thrown away... She died accusations but after intimidating her She said well if so she didn't remember so he told her what to write on her statement and had her sign it she was having anxiety at the time Of the meeting and is very naive being 18 years old Not understanding her rights that she did not have to sign anything She did sign the paper that he told her what to put on With a follow up call saying she was terminated I would like to know what her rights are as to being railroaded from her job
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

My name is Samuel and I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

First, you have to know that in Illinois a person can be fired for anything that is not based on discrimination.

It is a shame that your daughter was forced to write and sign something that she absolutely denies. However, she is an adult at age 18 and so unfortunately, a court may not see it as being under type of duress - even though it was stressful for her.

But if she is being falsely accussed of a crime, I suggest that you can consult with a local attorney for a possible defamation of character lawsuit. And the attorney would consider taking the matter on a contingency which means their fee would be a percentage of whatever settlement they got from the Dollar Store for your daughter.

I am sorry this has happened to her.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When they told her she was terminated she said she wanted to see the tape with her lawyer and they denied her that The guy from corporate even told her to lie to her manager and tell her she was going home and she wasn't coming back because she didn't feel good Didn't even tell the manager who is on duty at the time with her what was going on The whole thing seems really fishy and nobody understands what's going on Manager she was working with on duty that she is the best employee they have If we were to bring up a lawsuit would this help for other employees later down the road maybe done the same way or we beating a dead horse Quote unquote And justice protect her work record so that her next employer doesn't see her as a thief
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.
Hello

I suggest that an attorney can get the tape once a lawsuit is filed

And it is a shame that employees are treated this way.

Yes, it would clear her name and make Dollar Store employee managers who understand they cannot just go around making false accusations about people

I suggest a consult with local attorney to discuss a civil defamation lawsuit would not hurt anything.