Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

can a person request a jury trial for a Justice court summons

can a person request a jury trial for a Justice court summons for a simple battery complaint.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me if this is a criminal or civil matter?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

NRS 175.011(2) states:

"In a justice's court, a case shall be tried by jury only if the defendant so demands in writing not less than 30 days prior to trial. Where a case is tried by jury, a reporter must be present who is an official reporter for a district court of this state, and shall report the trial." See here.

As such, the Defendant does indeed have this right, but must request it at least 30 days before day of trial.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
PS - persons are also guaranteed the right to a jury trial by both art. I, section 3 of the Nevada Constitution, and the sixth amendment to the United States Constitution.

But again, NRS 175.011(2) makes that right contingent on the Defendant requesting it within 30 days.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.