Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

I sued a company in South Carolina (proper service). I appeared

I sued a company in South Carolina (proper service). I appeared before the magistrate and the company did not appear or represent but had sent a response letter which I did not get a copy of. I presented my side and still lost the case. Is this legal and proper??
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm not sure what you mean by legal and proper? What was the basis for the judge dismissing the case?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The judge accepted to defendant's answer by letter (which I never saw or received a copy of) against my evidence. My case was that the company had used my SS # XXXXX other infor without my permission to open an account with 'Bill me Later". There was also already a $5,000 charge (not credit limit, but a charge e mailed to me) on the account telling me how to pay.

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello Karen,

The judge may have taken notice of the letter, but actually your case was probably dismissed due to lack of evidence or damages, if you were unable to prove that there was an unauthorized charge made on your account.

(If it's a company you had shopped with before, it could have been a mistake, and you should contact Bill Me Later or the Better Business Bureau to resolve the issue).

Your case could also have been dismissed because there is no personal jurisdiction over 'Bill me Later' or the company in South Carolina.

That said, if a judge does it, it is typically legal and proper, as judges tend not to violate the law. Although you definitely should have received a copy of the letter, but from the defendant, not the court.

That said, you do have the right to appeal the small claims judgment if you disagree with the decision, which you obviously do in this instance.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. (It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit). Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.