Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.

I filed Contempt charges against my ex-husband. At the time

I filed Contempt charges against my ex-husband. At the time I filed, I thought the attorney who represented me before would represent me again. My former attorney even told me where to find the forms and kept in phone contact with me (along with text and email contact). Unfortunately, he will not. He said that he doesn't practice family law anymore. Now, I'm set for trial in three weeks and can't find representation. The Judge told both my ex and myself not to come back without counsel. I am to send my ex all of my evidence and have questions ready. I have no idea what to do. Can I withdrawal my charges and drop this whole thing? I know I can't represent myself. I am terrified of this whole thing and don't know where to turn.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Consider filing a proposed Consent Order for dismissal of your motion. You and your husband execute and notarize an agreement where in you agree to dismiss your motion and he agrees to that dismissal as well - include it in your Motion for it to be so ordered by the court (due to it being "consented to" by all parties). The judge should dismiss. Consider calling the clerk to ask her the procedure in your court - i.e. must you file a request for Consent Order, or can your own request to her, in writing and faxed over, suffice? Usually courts are happy to dismiss things - as it helps lighten their tight schedules.

If you decide you do want to go forward, consider increasing the retainer amount you are willing to give the lawyer (double it) to take your matter on, and look OUTSIDE of your county. All you need is a state licensed attorney, not a local one. There are tons of general and family court lawyers, just look a little further away and have your retainer out and ready.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Alexia Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Your online legal resource!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because my job depends on it. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Alexia Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional