Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I have been accused of first time theft for a purse, the back

I have been accused of first time theft for a purse, the back of the ticket says I have to go to court. In the Fine amount space is the initials MCA. What does that mean? I did not do it but do not want to deal with court since I am a professional business owner. Is there a fine or something I can do or do I need an attorney? There was confusion when I took a purse in to be fixed then took it back out. What does no contest do to your record? This is in Kansas.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

Unfortunately, the MCA indicates you cannot get out of the violation by paying a fine to get out of the charge. MCA stands for "Mandatory Court Appearance". You will need to appear before the Judge and he/she will decide the sanctions to be applied. It could end up a fine only, but he is going to hear what happened.

Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).
I am sorry that you have to go to Court. Is there something I can do to make you more satisfied with the response ? I would like to make it right.

Jack
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my second reply?

No I did not. I have no replies from you at all other than the question about did I get your reply
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know do I need to hire an attorney for court and is there a way an attorney can keep me from going to court by saying no contest and pay a fine? What does "no contest" do to my record? My record is perfectly clean. They say they have a surveillance camera and a witness.

A non contest plea will carry the same penalty as a guilty plea. The big difference is that the plea cannot be used in a subsequent civil proceeding against you.

You should have an attorney because the offense carries potential jail time. If you want to negotiate the range of penalties penalty an attorney can usually get a deal from the prosecutor with no jail time, probation, or deferred adjudication for a first offense, and a fine.

I am guessing you have committed a petty theft a class A misdemeanor. Punishment for a class A nonperson misdemeanor in Kansas can include a term of confinement in county jail for not more than one year, and/or a fine of no more than $2,500. (§ 21-4502(a), § 21-4503a(b)(1).) This is not simply a case where you can write a check and the matter is closed.