John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

My brother is on SSI and MEDI-CAL in California due being permanently

My brother is on SSI and MEDI-CAL in California due being permanently disabled. 7 years ago he was able to buy a low cost mobile home which is now paid off. His daughter who lived with him is now 19 and the mobile home park manager said he should transfer title to her or another family member because since she is over 18 now when he dies the State will take it because on aide to reimburse govt girl some of his care they provided. Is this true
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

There is something called Estate Recovery. However, Medi-Cal does not recover for medical costs paid prior to age 55. If your brother receives Medi-Cal services after age 55 or in a nursing facility then Medi-Cal will have an estate recovery claim.

With that said, your brother cannot just transfer assets to his daughter or other family member without loosing SSI benefits. If the daughter is providing services for your brother then it is possible to put a contract in place between the daughter and your brother. I would highly suggest that you speak with an elder law attorney in your area to put the contract in place and discuss any transfer of asset rules regarding the transfer of the mobile home.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,