Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I have a total loss homeowners insurance problem. There was

Customer Question

I have a total loss homeowners insurance problem. There was a fire when I was out of town. Insurance company paid out max 320000 for the dwelling, but appraised at 575000. I had replacement value insurance. Do I get the balance if I rebuild?
They have not paid any contents. I have submitted my lists, and they keep asking for more and more info. This has been carrying on for 120 days. They are now sending me more documents in the mail instead of email like everything else has been handled. I had 240000 worth of contents insurance. Even after depreciation this is also maxed out. What can I expect? Why do they ask for bits and pieces of info instead of giving me a contents template to fill out. I have done everything and have came to no insurance check. What do I do?
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Ray :

Hi and welcome to JA.My name is Ray and I will be assisting you tonight.My syncere sympathy for your situation and dilemma.

Ray :

Here you have a couple of issues.You would want to look at the limits on dwelling coverage to see what the policy limits are.The replacement value has a dollar cap.If this is $320k then that;s all they will pay.As far as the contents that is separate set of problems.I would file a complaint with the state on those issues such as no email , lack of claim adjusting here on the contents.It has been my experience that this gets you a better "attitude" with your insurer and a "renewed sense of customer service".They have to respond to the state and they can be fined and have rates affected too.Overall it will hopefully effect a chance and resolution.

Ray :

You would file that here.

Ray :

I would then draft your letter to the insurer advising you have filed a complaint here due to their failure to adjust your claim timely and to work with you to expedite fair resolution, etc.

Ray :

See if this doesn't get you the action you are seeking--that is payment for all your contents.If they try to low ball you on these file a second complaint again arguing they are not fairly adjusting your claim ,etc and claim retaliation.Again hopefully this will not be necessary.

Ray :

If you need assistance or to check on your complaint here is that number.

Ray :

If you would like to contact a Consumer Protection representative, call toll-free in Kentucky 800-595-6053 (option 1) or 502-564-6034.

Ray :

You have rights here to receive the compensation for both your property limits coverage and the contents as well.I am so sorry that you a re having to go through all of this.I have found getting the state on their case improves their attitude and claims resolution time.

Ray :

I appreciate the chance to assist you tonight.It has been my pleasure to do so.Thanks again.

Ray :

I am still around here.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

Ray :

Usually the company once they get a complaint like this assign you a new adjuster again with a better attitude.They very much then try to resolve it expeditiously..

Ray :

I hope that is the case with your situation.You certainly have suffered enough here.Good luck with all .

Ray :

Thanks for the chance to help .

Ray :

Make sure you get the right complaint form here.

Ray :

A consumer complaint is filed by a consumer or his/her representative who is having difficulty settling a situation with an insurance company, agent or adjuster. These complaints are investigated by the Consumer Protection Division.

To file a consumer complaint online, click here. If you would rather mail or fax your consumer complaint, click here for a printable form.

Ray :

Thanks again and the best.