Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

In 2008 I bought diet pills on line. The other day I received

In 2008 I bought diet pills on line. The other day I received a phone call from the
justice department telling me there would be a warrant out for my arrest, but if
I talked to him and "told the truth" they might be able to go easy on me. Was then
switched to an attorney general, After we talked he said he'd have to speak to
the agent in the Dominican Republic to see what my fine was--because I wasn't a
criminal, it would only be $4000 which they wanted "right now". After I western
unioned them 2000 (the "special agent walked me through the whole process), I
started getting calls from the Dom. Rep. saying if I didn't the rest right away, they'd
still arrest me. At this point my husband and I went to the local sheriff's office and
he said it was a scam-not to send any more money and they were going to track the
phone numbers. When they kept calling that evening 10/09, to see if we sent the
money , we told them we had a medical emergency (almost did with me!). No more
phone calls until just now (10/11) asking if we sent the money yet. By now, the $2000 I "owe" is only $500. My question is..is this how something like this is handled-
wiring money out of the country? Secondly, since this was in 2008 is this viable. What they told me was that I broke several international laws since the pills came from the
Dom. Rep. but the envelope I received was from someplace in FL. My husband is 73 and
I am 64 and we live on a fixed income. To get the 2000, I had to take a cash advance
from a credit card and there is no way that I can get more cash. In the back of my
head, I kept telling myself there was something wrong, but "this agent" knew too
much and I am from the school where you don't question authority.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear that you have been involved in this scam - which it is and many persons get trapped into them.

I suggest that you should contact the Sheriff's office and let them know what has happened - that the calls are coming in again. Perhaps, they can come in and tap your line to see who these scammers are. It is unforunate that generally they cannot be caught. But you never know.

I suggest that in the meantime, if the call you again before the Sheriff gets there - if they agree to come and tap your line - that you tell the scammer they need to call you back in an hour because you have to check your finances.

If the police say they cannot work this sort of investigation, then I suggest you tell them that you have contacted the police and if they call you again the police will find them and they will be criminally charged

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..
Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.