Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Over the years, I have been told if I want to know who the

Over the years, I have been told if I want to know who the "very interesting person" noted by two Directors of Catholic Charities that my adoptive parents used as the reference on their incomplete adoption application still on file, I would need a court order. On my hospital records, it states I was discharged to the doctor late in the evening.The doctor said he took several babies home for Catholic Charities. The agency said he did not, and besides my adoptive parents never came back to finish filling out the forms to even be considered for a baby. All I want to know is if the reference is the doctor's wife who had a high position at the hospital where I was born, and in the community at that time. My adoptive parents and the doctor are now deceased, but they all refused even simply tell me who named me. The doctor's wife's nickname was Jo and their daughter's name isXXXXX Statistics has on file is my original birth certificate and no amended one, which I have no clue how to fix either because I have gone by three other last names since birth (my first adoptive parent's divorce, assumed name after adoptive mother's remarriage, and my marriage). I just need the answer for closure. Thank you kindly for any suggestions! JoAnne
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that under the laws, you cannot get adoption information other than non identifying information because the records are sealed. The only way, as you were told, to get the information on your birth parents would be through going to court and proving some good cause that the records should be disclosed to you, absent consent of the birth parents to release the records, such as for medical history reasons if you have medical issues.

Legally I am afraid the courts are very strict on the unsealing of these records and will require good cause to do so and you would need a local attorney to file a petition in court specifying good cause for you to be allowed access to that information.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. You misunderstood my question. It isn't hard to do with such a convoluted story :(. I petitioned a judge and have copies of my sealed adoption records. My question has nothing to do with my birth family, but rather my adoptive parents. Thanks you for trying.

Thank you for your response. I am sorry for misunderstanding you.

What is it you are specifically looking for from your adoptive parents, as they are both dead it may be something that may be impossible for you to ever determine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All I want to know is if the reference on my adoptive parents incomplete adoption application at Catholic Charities is the doctor's wife who had a high position at the hospital where I was born, and in the community at that time. My adoptive parents and the doctor are now deceased, but they all refused even simply tell me who named me. The doctor's wife's nickname was Jo and their daughter's name isXXXXX just need the answer for closure.

Thank you for the clarification of your question.

Legally I am afraid there is no way to find that information out unless the doctor's wife volunteers to tell you. I am truly sorry, but there is not even a legal procedure available under law for you to determine that specific information, it is something that has to come from the doctor or his wife if she is still alive and the doctor is now dead and the wife wants to voluntarily disclose the information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The doctor's wife is deceased as well. Two Directors of Catholic Charities have said I could get a court order to see who my adoptive parents used as the reference on their incomplete adoption application still on file from years ago. I don't want to take up any more of your time, but thank you so much for trying to help me. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX kindness.

Thank you very much. I am sorry, I wish you the best on this, but it appears a court order to Catholic Charities would be the only way to go, but you may go through that whole thing in court and find out only the doctor or his wife were the referring parties.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law