Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

In addition to damages we have the cost of extensive travel,

In addition to damages we have the cost of extensive travel, as the apartment location is about 100 miles away. We were required to make four separate round trips to get all the work done. Can mileage be included in damages, and at what rate can we charge per mile. What the IRS allows or actual out of pocket costs?
Hello again,
.
Can mileage be included in damages, and at what rate can we charge per mile.
.
Unfortunately, you can't include the cost of your time or travel in any claims because the judge wouldn't award it. You can try, and there is no reason not to, but you should expect the judge to disallow it. As a landlord and attorney myself, I would love to charge my tenants my time for going to court at $200 an hour, including travel costs. However, I have only seen a judge allow it if the tenant didn't bother coming to court and a default judgment was awarded and the judge didn't pay too close of attention to the damage itemization.
.
Those are usually some of the unrecoverable costs of being a landlord....
.
.
Thanks