Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

In New Jersey, if both parents schedule an appointment with

In New Jersey, if both parents schedule an appointment with a different therapist for their child simultaneously and they have joint custody, would the parent of primary residence have final say as to which therapist the child ultimately treats with?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this matter

When you say Joint Custody - do you mean Joint LEGAL as well as PHYSICAL custody?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes both joint legal and physical

Thank you.

The Primary Resident Parent has the final say on all decisions where the parents cannot come to an agreement on every day non emergency matters. But in the major decision process, each parent has an equal say and should do their best to communicate and come to a resolution.

In such a scenario as you present, if the parents cannot agree, then the child could be subject to going to see both therapist which obviously is not in the best interest of the child.

I suggest it is best to try to come to an understanding and resolution. If not, then mediation would be in order.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..