Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

I took out a bank loan back in August and thought everything

Customer Question

I took out a bank loan back in August and thought everything was fine. I was recently contacted by the bank asking me to come in to sign some more documents. When I met with the manager, I asked for the original copy of the documents for my records and was told that they do not have them. The reason (they state) for the new papers is that there was a small error in the original papers in that they did not include the loan origination fee. The new documents I took home today to sign however have highlight marks for where they require a signature but next to the signature, the date is already prefilled with the original August date. This concerns me for several reasons, one being since the paperwork was never originally completed, I was never given the ability to make payments on the loan. If I sign these papers, they would certainly be able to submit reports to the credit bureaus stating that I have been late on payments, etc when this would not be true. The manager contacted me via email that he needs this documents signed today or they will foreclose on the loan and submit it to collections. Are they able to do this? Should I seek further legal advice before signing the documents with the invalid date?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

It seems a bit ambiquous that they do not have copies or the originals of the papers that you first signed, yet they are able to put the August date on these papers.

I suggest you need to contact the bank and ask them how that is possible and what are the ramifications of you signing these documents with the August date and how will that impact your payment plan.

If you do not get a satisfactory answer then I suggest it would be beneficial for you to contact a local attorney to review those documents. And you can contact the NJ Bar Association for a legal referral. Tell them you need to speak to a local contracts attorney to review bank documents for you.

Here is that contact information

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..