Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I took out a personal loan for a friend which paid for a motorcycle

I took out a personal loan for a friend which paid for a motorcycle which is titled and registered in my name. This also paid off a smaller loan that I cosigned with him on which was on a pickup. We are no longer friends and he is drinking and driving the motorcycle which the insurance is in my name so anything would come back against me if he wrecks the bike. Can I have the law pick up the motorcycle since it is in my name and sell it. He is making the payments on the personal loan out of an account that he added my name to. Also what is my recourse on getting the money on the payoff on the smaller loan that was included in this loan. I have asked him to get the loan out of my name as he thinks the loan is actually on the bike or bring the bike back to me but this has not happended so far. Thank you
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If this bike is in your name and registered and titled in your name, you certainly can go get the bike and take it because it is your bike. You are allowed to send someone to get the bike, like a professional repossession company or you can go get it as long as you can do so without causing a disturbance of the peace.

The law will not pick it up, they consider this a civil matter. You can get a repossession or towing company to do it and you need to give them copies of your ID and the title and registration showing it is in your name and they can then pick it up and bring it to you and you can lock it up so he cannot get it.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I have any recourse on the amount that was given to pay off the loan I had cosigned on that this loan included with the bike?

Thank you for your response.

You could sue in court to recover the money paid off on the loan once you get the bike back.