P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience

sophomore students in high school was caught by his AP English

sophomore students in high school was caught by his AP English teacher for plagerising 1 of 22 3 sentence slides on a visual presentation. He plagerised (cut and pasted) 3 sentences for one slide and did remaining 21 on his own. He cut and pasted, was planning on going back to reword the 3 sentences, the bell rang, he forgot and submitted his project. He is an A student, #1 PERSON on his high school golf team, JV basketball player and has had no history of any suspicious activities. His school is giving him a ZERO for the entire 9 weeks (even though his grade in this class is a 103. (86 which is multiplied by 1.2 for advanced placement classes). He has never missed an assignment, never missed class, never missed homework, not only in this class but his entire high school career thus far. Is this worth fighting over? He can't play basketball EVER NOW (coach said if a sophomore has issues this early on and is on the verge of JV1, they just cut them)
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, was this a public school or is it a private school?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

public school, Lewisville isd in Carrollton Texas. There policy states that any plagiarism 1st offense is a zero. I can attached their policy.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for the policy..can you tell me have you spoken to the superintendent yet? Or approached the school board?

If so what were the results?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no we have not contacted superintendent or school board.

One more...How about the principal? Have you discussed with him/her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just the assistant principal and the teacher. we are scheduled to meet with them both tomorrow face to face and we know that they are not going to BUDGE. You suggest we meet with principal?

If the teacher will not budge, I would go to the principal. The principal is the next step. And after that the superintendent, then the board (the school board)

I would not waste time/energy on the teacher/assistant principal if you feel that is not going to change the circumstances.

I agree with you...what you describe? The using a quote with the intent to reword? Frankly, that is common. So I can understand how this happened. And it should not ruin his HS record. Period.

That said, I also understand the teaches point of view. Plagiarism is a serious concern at ALL levels of school...much more so today then my days of school prior to the ipad and internet.

So giving a zero on the assignment? That is tough to fight. Zero for the entire class? That is much more difficult to swallow.

I would approach the principal. I would be reasonable and acknowledge the misconduct. THen talk about a reasonable solution.

If the principal will not be reasonable? I would probably go straight to the board...the superintendent will most likely be read into this if the principal will not correct this, I would go straight to the school board. They will have a public meeting regularly (typically once per month) up and state your to put in to a letter and send to the board then show up and speak in person at the meeting.

I doubt you need to go this far, but if you do the school board has the power to remedy this.

You could go further if the school board refuses to address can actually sue to force this issue. But what you describe, if you present this reasonably, I bet that is not needed.

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if you can