Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

In Florida, may evidence obtained by a private investigator

In Florida, may evidence obtained by a private investigator in a gated community be admissible in court? The community's HOA has rules clearly prohibiting a PI from entering for this purpose. This pertains to a liability case. Thanks much!
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is generally yes. Florida does disallow introduction of evidence in civil cases that was obtained via unlawful means, such as a violation of privacy, an illegal search and seizure, and so on. However, this unlawful means does not include a breaking of administrative rules.

For example:

1) Trespassing unto private property to gain evidence - normally inadmissible.

2) Evidence seized without a warrant - normally inadmissible (in criminal law, this is called the 'exclusionary rule.'

3) Evidence seized despite an entity's local rule - admissible.

In other words, if I ran a club and the club's rules stated that no one could take a binder out of the club, but someone did and later introduced it as evidence, this would be admissible, because no civil/criminal law was broken. They would have simply broken an administrative law, which does not disqualify the evidence being admitted.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

If this is not what you had hoped to hear, I am sorry. Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)