TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I received a credit card without a co-signer at the age of

I received a credit card without a co-signer at the age of 16 or 17. Being the ignorant and selfish child that I was, I accrued a LARGE amount of debt on that credit card. I was paying the bill (after I turned 18) until about 6 years ago when I came into some financial hardships. The credit card company gave me multiple different offers to pay off my debt but I wasn't able to afford what they were offering. Now it's in collections. My question is, now that it is with a 3rd part collector, is there any way to take the credit card company up on one of their better offers they had offered in the past? Also, I will do everything I can to pay MY debt but, seeing as they gave me the card while I was a minor, am I still legally responsible for paying 100% of it off?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

If you were under 18 when you signed up for the credit card, then you were not legally able to enter into a contract, and cannot be bound by any contract which you signed when you were this age. Further, if the last payment you made was 6 years ago, then the statute of limitations is about to run on this debt. What this essentially means is that under these circumstances, the collections agency cannot legally force you to pay this debt.

You need to obtain their mailing address and send them a letter stating that you dispute this debt because you were a minor when you signed the credit agreement and thus it is an illegal contract. Also tell them you dispute the debt because the statute of limitations has passed. Demand that they stop contacting you by phone and immediately stop trying to collect the debt.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
Zachary
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs