How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 13 years kicked me out of our residence that

This answer was rated:

My husband of 13 years kicked me out of our residence that is on both our name. I heard it was illegal in Maryland . He changed the locks which is also illegal in Maryland. Is there a way to obtain a court order ( and if so what type of form to fill out and what court-civil or distric court).Is living in our residence with our 12 years old daughter so I am not trying to have him evicted . I am just trying to be able to have access to my house as I please to check daily on my daughter. I have tried and was told to change the locks back but he would go right back with new ones . I need something permanent .

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest that no he has no right to change locks on a home that you own. I suggest that you can try the state police and request an "escort' to your home. You wil need to change the locks back so you have a key once you are there.

I suggest that if he changes them again, you will need to file a divorce in the court and then request an emergency hearing to Order you Temporary Use and Possession of the home and Temporary custody of the child.

That means that he will have to leave until it is decided by the court who will stay and who will go.

At this time, that is your only option in the state of Maryland.

I am sorry to hear that you are encountering this matter.

If this is a domestic violence situation, then I suggest you should consider contacting a DV victims' advocacy group who can help you to proceed in the court. You can get contact information in that regard from the District Court Commissioner or the State's Attorney's office.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..
Sam and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions