How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26783
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served with a civil suit and do not understand how to

This answer was rated:

I was served with a civil suit and do not understand how to fill out the questions on the answer section of the document
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

When served with a complaint, you do need to file an answer, to avoid being defaulted. You would need to either admit, deny or state that you are without knowledge, to each allegation in the complaint. In addition, you want to raise any legal defenses which you may have. If you are not disputing the debt and the amount owed and have no defenses, then you may be inclined to admit to the allegations and not contest this. However, if you want to try and pay this off with a payment plan, there is no harm in also reaching out to the attorney for the plaintiff and advising of such. Speak with them and advise them as to what you can afford and see if they would accept it and dismiss the lawsuit. You can also file a motion with the court, asking that the case be sent to mediation, so all the parties can sit down, to try and resolve the matter.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you