TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have recently lost my job, as in two hours ago, and living

I have recently lost my job, as in two hours ago, and living was part of my employment. How long, legally, do I have to vacate my apartment living in Michigan?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page with you, you are saying that you were provided with an apartment as part of the compensation for your employment?

Have they issued an eviction notice to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, correct. They have issued an $820 credit towards an apartment. The apartment that I am living in is currently at $1040 per month, so I pay $220 per month.

No, no eviction notice has been given. Just an oral, sit-down, saying that I was being terminated as of today.

Thank you for your response.

A few more questions. Did you sign a lease with the apartment complex? If so, does it have any statement in it that would allow you to terminate the lease once your job ends?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I had to sign a lease. Sorry, i wasn't very clear in my initial statement. Per the lease, an employee has 7 days to vacate upon termination until their employee credit gets terminated and the full rental agreement takes its place, which would be the $1040 per month. I am wondering, since 7 days is ridiculous to ask someone to leave, especially having no job, if I could possibly increase the time frame of that credit to the entire month, legal eviction time frame, or if I am stuck paying the remaining 20+ days of full lease, which would be prorated of course?

Ok. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

In this situation, essentially what is happening is that they are giving you notice that you may either vacate the premises, or you will owe additional rent. This sort of notice under state law is a 7 day notice. Thus, the notice period they are providing you in the contract is the same amount of time as you are entitled to in this situation under State Law.

If you do not leave the premises, you will be subject to eviction proceedings. This would mean that you would become liable for the prorated amount of the rent for that month anyway upon the initiation of the eviction proceedings.

Of course, you will not be evicted immediately and will be able to remain in possession of the apartment until the eviction is granted by the court, which can take several days to a few weeks depending on how busy the local court is.

Unfortunately, this means your best option without incurring a large amount of liability is to vacate the apartment. Otherwise, either way, you are likely going to have to pay the higher monthly rent.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pretty much what I was ready for was bad news, in these recent times.. But, thanks for verifying my suspicions.

Well, I wish you the best and I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate turn of events.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,