Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Hello and thank you for your time, we are opening a marketing

Hello and thank you for your time, we are opening a marketing and printing company in Palm Beach County, FL. If we design, print and mail brochures for our clients do we need to charge them sales tax. These items are never touch by the client.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Congratulations on your business venture.

If we design, print and mail brochures for our clients do we need to charge them sales tax. These items are never touch by the client.

Under Florida law, each sale, admission charge, storage, or rental is taxable unless the transaction is exempt. Exemptions may be found here. Brochures do not fit into the category.

Even though the customers do not handle the item, this is till arguably falls under tax because it would be a sales price they pay:

“Sales price” means the total amount paid for tangible personal property, including any services that are a part of the sale, valued in money, whether paid in money or otherwise, and includes any amount for which credit is given to the purchaser by the seller, without any deduction therefrom on account of the cost of the property sold, the cost of materials used, labor or service cost, interest charged, losses, or any other expense whatsoever. F.S.212.02(160. So this would be a sales price.

Under F.S. 212.04(b), a 6% tax is then added to a sales price.

For the statutes, see here.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)