Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I need the health insurance company to reinstate my health insurance.

I need the health insurance company to reinstate my health insurance. I have the money available in my bank now.The premium was due 10/01/13. Thanks for a quick response. xxxxxxx [email protected]

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to try to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.

While I know you "need" to have benefits reinstated, you do understand that all we can provide information about is the actual legality of them canceling your benefits and the process you can use to try to get the company to reinstate your benefits?

I know it was cancelled for non-payment, but is this a COBRA plan? Please explain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Insurance company is Bank of America. It is not a COBRA policy. It is a retirement policy my wife received upon retirement

Thank you for your response, just a bit more clarification.

Your wife (you) was responsible for making payments for the policy and you failed to make payment on time, have you contacted BoA who administers or provides the benefit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, and they refused to reinstate policy

Thank you for your response.

These retiree health plans are considered contractual in nature and not mandatory under law. As such the plans are governed under the Employees Retirement Income Security Act, ERISA, which states that in all of these cases the Plan Description governs your contract. This means there is no legally statutory right to reinstatement of the policy, it is contractual, and there is no "grace period" in the laws, but there may be a grace period in the contract and that is where you must begin looking I am afraid (each of these plan descriptions is different and there are thousands of them and I do not have access to them, as I am sure you understand).

If your plan description does not contain a provision about reinstatement/cancellation of the plan, then the only legal right you have remaining is negotiating with the employer's benefits officer and arguing things like you did not receive notice of the bill being due or that they failed to notify you promptly that you would be cancelled and give you an opportunity to cure by making payment. I am afraid though that these are not legal arguments to take to court if they refuse to do so.

Legally the only way you can force them to reinstate your policy would be proving that under the terms of your plan description they did not follow those terms and as such breached the contract with you.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.