my neighbor shot and killed my cat. police would not file

my neighbor shot and killed my cat. police would not file a report for me. they said an animal got him and that was that. i have a $2000 vet bill from this guy shooting at my baby. i saw him shooting at him. his wife knows he was shooting at him. he killed my baby as an act of revenge towards me on another issue. he has 6 cats himself. i can't believe my baby is gone. he brought me out of a 6-year depression when i lost both parents. i have other cats, but you know, this one....i felt he was truly a gift from God.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

In all honesty, these are cases that are hard to prove. Your best bet is to contact Animal Control. They are a division of the police department and they will actually take these cases seriously and do some investigating. They will do a site check at the neighbors house and they can collect evidence on what happened. They will also check with the vet on what type of bullet it was to try to match it with a gun.

Animal control can then give you a route to take to press charges. They will sometimes press charges for animal cruelty on their own.

I hope this works, and I'm sorry again for your loss.