Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

How long can a bank hold a check until you have access to the

How long can a bank hold a check until you have access to the funds?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
Typically it can take up to 10 days for a reasonably large check to post to a person's account (a few thousand dollars or more). This is because if it was written on a different bank, it has to go to the depositing bank's clearinghouse bank, which is usually in a different state, then to the issuing bank's clearinghouse bank, then back to the issuing bank. It takes a couple days between each bank in the process (4 total) so the depositing bank won't make a final credit to a person's account until it has passed through both clearinghouse banks back to the issuing bank and they honor it.
Usually they will only allow the first $100 of the check to be immediately available for withdrawal with the rest being available after around 10 days.