How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10078
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a medical doctor licensed in California, but not currently

Resolved Question:

I am a medical doctor licensed in California, but not currently practicing, and I recently applied online to transfer my DEA certificate from Florida to California, giving my home address since it is the only address I have, and I got this email response:

Dear Registrant- a new application submitted online for a DEA certificate was received and is pending since October 7, 2013 at the local DEA field office. The registered business address you provided is a home address. Federal regulations (21 CFR 1301.12) require that your registered address be: “principal place of business or professional practice at one general physical location where controlled substances are manufactured, distributed, imported, exported, or dispensed by a person. " Please provide a complete street business address. Mailing address can be your home address/P.O. Box address.

This is also the address that DEA would come for unannounced inspections of the registered premises and controlled substances records as well as the address we provide to both federal and state regulatory and law enforcement agencies and that is published on the web.

Please reply by email with a response regarding your business address within 10 days from the date this email was sent, failure to respond will result in your DEA registration being withdrawn in accordance with the below Federal Regulation.

Code of Federal Regulations


Section 1301.16 Amendments to and withdrawal of applications

After an application has been accepted for filing, the request by the applicant that it be returned or the failure of the applicant to respond to official correspondence regarding the application, ……. shall be deemed to be a withdrawal of the application.

(Highlighted for emphasis)

Thank you


Rocio Graciano | Registration Program Specialist
DEA | Roybal Federal Building , 17th Floor | 255 E. Temple St. | Los Angeles, California 90012


Since I have no business address yet, can I use my home address until I start to practice again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you today.

I have reviewed your post, and the federal regulations that were cited within it (as well as the policy notes from the DEA). My understanding is that you can license your home as an office, where you can prescribe controlled medications or administer the same (regardless as to whether or not you intend to do so). When you do begin practicing again, you will need to file another application to move the license address to your new practice/employer/hospital, etc.

The regulation cited by the email regarding use of your home address does not appear to say what the email says it does. The regulation requires that if a practitioner or other licensed individual is using several locations, then each location must be licensed. The full text of the regulation is set forth here:

You do have an obligation to respond to the DEA, you must notify them whether you intend to keep your home address as your business address (absent an employer, it is should most likely be the same one as used for the California Medical Board, the DEA does reference the Medical Board), if you have found an employer or other practitioner that will allow you to share space, or if you have decided to withdraw your application.

I hope the above is helpful, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to let me know and I will follow up quickly.

Thank you for using our service, please do not forget to rate my answer when you are satisfied. I do wish you the best of luck in this matter.
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10078
Experience: Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
CalAttorney2 and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.