Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is there a good source to read court cases online? I have

Is there a good source to read court cases online? I have some complex tax questions and wanted to see if there were any cases with similar circumstances.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is yes. By "good source" to read cases online I assume free. There are several good caselaw libraries, but they are not free, such as:

www.westlaw.com
www.lexis.com

However, they bill you for the information. A free resource that is almost as good (better at searches, but a little less in Shepardizing) is Google Scholar -see here.

Choose the courts you want and click DONE on top, and then enter search terms for excellent results, and, history on the case, as well as when it was mentioned by other cases and how.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for. A follow up question: where do they usually hear tax cases, besides Tax Court? I did search cases in Tax Court and did not find what I was looking for. There must be much more tax-related cases. Are they ever heard by state courts? Assuming probably not, then which federal court should I look in? Circuit, appeals, etc?

Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for.

My pleasure.

A follow up question: where do they usually hear tax cases, besides Tax Court? I did search cases in Tax Court and did not find what I was looking for. There must be much more tax-related cases. Are they ever heard by state courts? Assuming probably not, then which federal court should I look in? Circuit, appeals, etc?

Well, this depends on what you mean by "tax." If this is a state issue, the matter is normally appealed to the Circuit Court from whatever administrative hearing board the issue is before. So it goes: ADMINISTRATIVE HEARING -> CIRCUIT COURT -> DISTRICT COURT OF APPEALS -> FLORIDA SUPREME COURT.

If this is an IRS issue, then the matter (if cannot be resolved with IRS) is filed in United States Tax Court, then the appeal is to the U.S. Court of Appeals, and finally U.S. Supreme Court.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking only at IRS issues that could not be resolved with IRS. Do they ALL go to US Tax Court?

While there are some nuances that may allow filing in other courts, the vast majority of matters is filed with the IS Tax Court, yes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

My pleasure and thank you for your gratuity.