John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

In a foreclosure lawsuit, if I am the Defendant, when I answer

In a foreclosure lawsuit, if I am the Defendant, when I answer the Complaint and make counterclaims, do I have to serve all the parties by a service of process or can I mail all the parties through regular mail?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

After the original complaint is filed, all pleadings and papers, which would include an answer and counter complaint, may be properly served by mail. You'd want to include a "proof of service" with each such pleading or paper and you have to file the pleading or paper, including the proof of service, with the court. A "proof of service" is basically a document signed by the person mailing the pleading or paper swearing under oath that he/she mailed it on that particular day - e.g., The undersigned, being first duly sworn, deposes and says that s/he served a copy of Defendants’ Answer, Counterclaims and Proof of Service upon counsel for all parties to this action via First Class Mail, on October 7, 2013. Signed___________ Dated _______________.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Robert

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
John, Attorney
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.