Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If a patient sees a physician and the health plan sends reimbursement

If a patient sees a physician and the health plan sends reimbursement check to patient. Patient does not pay physician at time of service nor brings the check in to physician from the health care agency. Is that an offense of any kind?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It could be considered theft and it could also be considered insurance fraud if the insurance company sent a check to the patient based on the patient paying the medical bill and the patient failed to do so. Also, most times it is just grounds for the physician to just sue the patient for recovery of the bill due in small claims court. However, it could be considered criminal offenses and that would be up to the DA if the patient is taking checks from an insurer that were supposed to reimburse the patient for paying the doctor and they did not do so.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I could quote to patient in regard to your answer?

Thank you for your response. As we tell all customers repeatedly, we are a general information service, you cannot quote us because we legally cannot and do not represent you.

Here are the NY Insurance Fraud statutes, he has taken money from the insurer and has not used it for the purpose provided.