Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I have a Special Needs Trust approved by both Mecdicaid and

I have a Special Needs Trust approved by both Mecdicaid and Medicare in NC for my sister. What will I have to do to get DHHS, SC to approve it for Medicare. In process of getting Medicaid approved at present time to move her to SC assisted living.

Ray :

Hi and welcome to JA. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Ray :

Here I can give you contact numbers for the regional general counsel for South Carlina for DHHS. If you have an approval letter or other communication from DHHS office they likely would want you to submit that to them.

Ray :

You can contact them here.

Ray :

Region IV -- Atlanta
(Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee)

Ray :

And now that I am looking at this the same regional office covers NC and SC so for medicare purposes here you should be ok.I would call here to verify that matter.

Ray :

The big approval here will be SC medicaid.Honestly if the SNT qualified in one state it likely qualifies in the other.You certainly would want the SC medicaid to verify that she is eligible and the SNT is ok here.But the requirements for medicaid are federally driven and if the trust qualified in one state there should not be problems with SC.

Ray :

Your problem here may be that Medicaid in South Carolina does not appear to have assisted living .Here are two references to that.You may want to verify that locally with your SC medicaid office.

Ray :

Go down toward bottom of page..

Ray :

Second reference.

Ray :

Again if you are trying to get her into medicaid paid assisted living in SC this may be a problem of medicaid in that state not having the program available.It does appear they have this in NC so you may want to rethink this.Just wanted to point this out.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Ray" .

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.