How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38802
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good day to you. I am the owner of a diecast miniature

This answer was rated:

Good day to you.

I am the owner of a diecast miniature automobiles collection at the scale of 1:43.

I collected around 30.000 miniatures autos from different sources in Europe. The sources being private owners and different shops in Europe.

The manufaturers of those miniatures models are :
1/ Companies that still exist and are active in the diecast market.
2/ Companies that no longer legally exist.
3/ Private diecast modellers.

My question is : "Do I have the right to expose my miniature automobile collection in a Museum ? "

Thank you very much.
Jean Demectrois.

You absolutely have the right to do whatever you want with your collectibles. Under the "first sale doctrine," a person who obtains an item of intellectual property by purchase has the absolute right to dispose of it or display it as that person wishes.

If you were attempting to generate income based upon the goodwill of the manufacturers, that would be a different matter. For example, you cannot market the collectibles as if you were the manufacturer, or as if you have the right to distribute them for the manufacturer. But, you can absolutely market the items that you have acquired, in any manner you wish.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or provide further assistance.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you