Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I noticed that my offender list only shows one and not

I noticed that my sex offender list only shows one and not two. Before it only showed just one sex offense of class a misdemeanor of attemped sexual abuse then later they add my sex offense of 20 years ago which requires lifetime registration because of repeat sex offense in utah.

But Now I noticed it went back to only show one and not the old one long time ago. Does that mean I only have to register for 10 years with this one and not have to register for life?

I was convicted in november of 2006 for misdemeanor A attemped sex abuse.

Can you double check if I have to register for life or just 10 years with this last one?

It is under Utah Sex Offender.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

We are not permitted to review any specific outside links for JustAnswer.com customers, however as long as you do have 2 sex offense convictions in Utah, you would be subject to a lifetime registration, regardless of what information the website contains.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So you are absolutely sure of that even though my last conviction of November 2006 occurred and that they made that law of two convictions later after that required lifetime registration?

Dear XXXXX,

That is correct. However I would still urge you to consult with a local criminal defense attorney, who would be able to look at your specific convictions and all the facts and confirm this for you.

Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You havent looked up the law yet and I am not satisified with your quick answer without really looking into the law so can you look into it to double check. I wouldnt have plead guilty to plea bargain if I have to register for life. It was not the law at that time. They made the law later on i think a year or two later. So, can you take a bit time to look into it and not just give me a quick answer without looking into it? I would appreciate it.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

I did look at the law initially and I have just double checked the law again.

The lifetime registration law that was enacted in Utah in 2006 does apply retroactively and does count any sex offenses in any state that the sex offender has, regardless of when the convictions took place and unfortunate under this current Utah lifetime repeat sex offender registration law, a repeat sex offender is not eligible to be removed from the registration requirement at any point.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can you show me where you saw it says it was enacted in Utah in 2006?

Thank you.

Dear XXXXX,

I meant to say that your 2006 conviction would count along with the prior conviction and the law would apply retroactively and the law and registration requirements are clearly stated at the link below:

http://corrections.utah.gov/index.php/probation-parole/sex-offender-registry-unit.html

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I went to look at the link you sent me. on Number 14 it says:

*Depending on the conviction date, the registration length of any of these might only be 10 years for an individual (for those sentenced before laws changed).

what does that mean?

Dear XXXXX,

That refers to the specific sex offense conviction and the requirements to the specific offense, but not to the repeat offense lifetime requirement.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok I know I am taking too much of your time. I will add a bonus with some more questions.

Before I had lewdness of a child misdemeanor A about 20 years ago. I had a registration of 7 years with that. I was off sex registration Then a second conviction with an adult female in 2006. At first it only showed registration of that second offense. Then they later added the one from 20 years ago. But now it is not there anymore.

So, if I am not registered for the one 20 years ago for lewdness of the child anymore listed there, does that mean I do not have to follow this one that was on the link you gave me that said:

Five protected zones for those convicted of a crime against a minor
(Meaning those registered for a crime against a minor cannot go on/in):

1. Licensed daycares or preschools

2. Swimming pools open to the public

3. Public or private primary/secondary schools (not on grounds of a correctional facility)

4. Community park open to the public

5. Playground open to the public

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up and you are not taking too much of my time, as I am here to answer your question as fully and accuratelly as possibly can.

You would still have to follow the protected zones requirement, since the sex offender website is simply a website and even if one of the convictions is not showing on the website for some reason (could be technical or some other error), the law would still apply to you, based on the two prior sex offense convictions and also the fact that your first conviction was related to a minor, even though it is not currently showing on the website the restriction related to protected zones would still apply.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney