Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I just moved into sullivan county ny. i am a new york state

I just moved into sullivan county ny. i am a new york state level 3 registered sex offender. I contacted the Sullivan county sherriff to register in. He said here there is a yearly "home visit". At the time he did not knoe my level , it appears to be standard. i moved into greene county from nyc. both locations did no home. visit. i was in greene cty for last two weeks. in abnyc/Brooklyn for 6 year not on parole or probation , same status here. Apparently this is standard procedure per a article thanks

http://www.sullivancountypost.com/2010/12/17/sex-offenders-proudly-call-sullivan-county-home/
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

What is your specific legal question for me please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it within the law for law enforcement to visit my residence at their option . i am a registered sex offender not on probation or parole. both the sherrif and the article in local paper states it. in nyc the NYPD only visited if you are out if reporting compliance
Dear XXXXX,

It is absolutely within the law for the locality to set out their own procedures and monitoring of sex offenders, when it is done for the safety of the general public.

You can rest assured, if this practice was illegal or unlawful, the sheriff's department of the county that you moved to, would have never been able to openly make such requirements.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can they enter the premises without search warrant or probable cause
Dear XXXXX,

Are you asking if the police can knock on your door to checkup on you without a search warrant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Knock and demand entry. i understand from your response it is legal to monitor but what extent? You indicate visits as needed for community safety. can they enter premises without search warrant
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

The police can knock on your door and randomly check on you to make sure that you are in compliance with the sex registration requirements.

If the police visits your residence and does not find you there after several attempts, the police might determine that there is a probable cause that exist for them to believe that you are not in compliance with the sex offender registration requirement and can ask the judge or the magistrate to issue a search or an arrest warrant based on a sworn affidavit about the events that would lead police to believe that you might not be in compliance.

I wish you the best of luck!