Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

We built a home in 2008 with a construction loan from an investment

We built a home in 2008 with a construction loan from an investment company for 860,000. When the house was complete, the jumbo loans were not on the market, so the investment company offered to leave us in the construction loan at 11% interest. Over the last few years, they have adjusted the interest down, but once a year they add finance fees, etc to refi the loan. Earlier this year they came to us and offered to create a new loan at a grand total of 960,000 for a house that was appraised at 600,000! We of course said no, so they foreclosed on us. A few months later, they came to us and said they would sell it back to us for 820,000 and give us a 3/30 term loan, so that when our foreclosure was off of our credit we could refi! This really made no sense because the house would be worth no where near that amount in 3 years. This was a tough decision since this was our dream home we had built. At this time, we are renting the house from them month to month wondering what might happen next? Is there a law against price gouging on a home loan? Or are they just smart business people?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.

This sounds like potentially a predatory loan, which would be against the law as predatory lending is illegal. However, to make any determination on this for certain, you have to take your loan documents to a local consumer protection law attorney for a "forensic loan accounting" to look at the terms and interest and make the decision as to whether or not the loan would indeed be predatory (it certainly from your description sounds like it would be).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.