Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I broke my friends leg while we were out drinking. He was standing

I broke my friends leg while we were out drinking. He was standing on the sidewalk with his back to me and I jumped on him. He subsequently broke his leg pretty bad. What makes it worse is I'm his roommate. I've been paying bills, food, cleaning cooking... I'm still worried he's going to sue.

He just got a new job with no insurance. Subsequently he lost his job, is on state insurance and not able to work for another month, with no income coming in. It was been 3.5 months. i need to move out and worried about the amount of money he can sue me for. I don't have a lot of money, single , no property - just a car. Is there a limit he can sue for?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

Technically, he can sue you for the following:

1) Amount lost in income due to not working related to his leg; and
2) Medical bills;
3) Pain and suffering.

While #1 and #2 are rather specific, #3 is the one that is the 'wild card' and may be from a few hundred to thousands. In the end, it depends on the trier-of-fact to make a decision as to how much. CT has no cap on such damages, I am afraid.

However, just because they CAN does not mean they WILL sue you. Furthermore, it is possible to enter into a binding agreement NOT to sue if he is willing. Let me know if you are interested in this.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can he sue for more money then I have?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
J,

Technically, yes. Of course, it comes to a concept of squeezing blood out of a rock. If one does not have the money, then he cannot get paid, although technically he can attempt to garnish up to 25% of any paycheck and/or place a lien on the vehicle (not letting it be sold) under judgment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it comes to medical expenses covered by the state insurance. Can he make me pay those even if they are covered now?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
No. The medical expenses are calculated going off only whatever he paid out of pocket, J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for ur help
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure, J!