Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If I have a C Corporation based in Florida and want to issue

If I have a C Corporation based in Florida and want to issue common stock but have no unauthorized but unissued available, can the Board approve additional issuance or do I need to get a shareholder vote to authorize?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to read your bylaws first. Absent any provision in your bylaws to the contrary, the power of the board of directors is to issue shares and to vote to authorized more shares, keeping in mind that in doing so they need to avoid intentionally doing so to water down the existing shares. Issuing more shares by default is the inherent power of the board of directors along with determining share price, par value and dividends.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.